The housing crisis affects all of us. You can’t read the news these days without something coming up about housing affordability and homelessness in BC.
In the Third Edition of Dying on the Streets: Homeless Deaths in British Columbia, Megaphone Magazine found that 70 homeless people died in 2015, more than one person per week. This is a 56 per cent increase from the year before, and a 40 per cent increase from the previous high of 50 deaths in 2008. The median age of death for a homeless person in BC is between 40 and 49 years, almost half the life expectancy of 76.4 years for the average British Columbian.
Homeless camps have formed to create safety and community in Abbotsford, Maple Ridge and Victoria but they’re constantly under threat from eviction without any stable housing being provided.
Let’s get to the heart of the problem. Housing the homeless saves us money in the long-run and taking the housing pressure off low-income families puts more money in their pockets, which, in turn, boosts the local economy and improves our communities.
- Planning for a Build-Out of Affordable Rental Housing in Metro Vancouver: How many units and how much would it cost? (CCPA, December 2019)
- 2018 Displaced: Rents and the Rate of Change in the Downtown Eastside (Carnegie Community Action Project, May 2019)
- Red Women Rising: Indigenous Women Survivors in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre, April 2019)
- Recent Changes to the Residential Tenancy Act (Vancouver Tenants’ Union)
- Definition of Indigenous Homelessness in Canada (Canadian Observatory on Homelessness, 2017)
- Getting Serious About Affordable Housing: Towards a Plan for Metro Vancouver (CCPA, May 2016)
- Dying on the Streets: Homeless Deaths in British Columbia, 2006-2015 Third Edition (Megaphone, April 2017)
- Youth Rights! Right Now! Ending Youth Homelessness: A Human Rights Guide (Canada Without Poverty, June 2016)
- We can’t talk about inequality without talking about homelessness (Leilani Farha, the UN Special Rapporteur on the right to housing, The Guardian, March 2016)
- Canada failing international housing obligations (Pivot Legal, February 2016)
- Housing need in Canada: Healthy lives start at home (Canadian Paediatric Society, October 2015)
- Rental Housing Index (BC Non-Profit Housing Association, May 2018)