Make poverty reduction an issue this election
Greetings BC Poverty Reduction Open Letter endorsers,
Thanks for endorsing the Open Letter to BC political parties calling for a poverty reduction plan! We’d like to hear from you about the actions you’ve taken to promote this call. Please take 1 minute to complete this very short, one-page, and anonymous survey.
Keep building the call by engaging with your MLA candidates and their political parties during this election period. In the run-up to election day on May 12th, here are some suggestions of things you can do to push the major political parties to commit to a poverty reduction plan:
- Call or email your MLA candidates and let them know that you would like to vote for a party that commits to reducing poverty in BC with legislated targets and timelines. Most of the candidates have been announced and this link will help you locate the candidates in your riding.
- Send a message to the leaders of the major political parties directly through this tool created by Make Poverty History:http://www.makepovertyhistory.ca/povertyplan/bc-election.
- Call into radio talk shows that are hosting all-candidates debates. For example, on Thursday, April 23rd, the Bill Good Show (CKNW, 980 AM) will be hosting a Radio Leaders Debate from 8:30-10 am. The call-in numbers are: 604-280-9898 or (toll-free) 1-877-399-9898. This is a great opportunity to engage with party leaders about a BC poverty reduction plan.
- Ask a question at all-candidates debates about whether or not their parties, if elected, would commit to a poverty reduction plan with legislated targets and timelines. If you know of an all-candidates debate that is happening in your community (or if you’re organizing one), let us know and we’ll post the information on the BC Poverty Reduction site.
- Blog, tweet or post a facebook entry about why you think it’s important for BC to have a poverty reduction plan.
Please encourage your friends, family, neighbours, and co-workers to sign the Open Letter as individual endorsers. Individuals can sign on at the following link on the BC Poverty Reduction site:http://bcpovertyreduction.ca//?page_id=6 .
You can also include an attractive button on your website or online newsletter directing viewers to the online petition. Buttons, banners and source code can be found at http://bcpovertyreduction.ca//?page_id=470 .
BC Poverty Reduction Committee