Greetings signatories to the BC Poverty Reduction Open Letter,
Looking for ways to take action for a poverty reduction plan now that you’ve signed on to the call?
April 6 is Lobby Your MLA Candidates Day! Join British Columbians across the province on this day, and let your MLA candidates and their parties know that you have signed the Open Letter, and want to vote for someone ready to make the same commitment.
Here are some things you can do on April 6th:
- Find out who your local candidates are from all parties (Liberals, NDP, Green) and call them to urge their parties to commit to a poverty reduction plan;
- Call your candidates ahead of time and set up a meeting for April 6;
- Visit their office, on your own or with a delegation, and bring a copy of the Open Letter;
- Speak from your own experience and prepare questions ahead of time (a useful Q&A is available at http://bcpovertyreduction.ca/);
- Be creative, think of something symbolic to bring with you; or get a picture of you and your candidate and post it on Facebook;
- Let your local media know about your meeting.
Another upcoming event is the Grand March for Housing on April 4. Join the Grand March in downtown Vancouver to demand immediate government action to end homelessness, build social housing, raise welfare and minimum wage rates. Communities across the province will be carrying out their own marches. For more information, visit www.citywidehousingcoalition.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget – to keep building the call for a BC poverty reduction plan, encourage your friends, family, neighbours, and co-workers to sign the Open Letter as individual endorsers. Individuals can sign on at the following link on the BC Poverty Reduction site: http://bcpovertyreduction.ca//?page_id=6
Good luck on April 6th and keep us posted about your activities for this call!
BC Poverty Reduction Committee